ADSM-L

Re: Data Storage Error

1999-11-12 05:33:40
Subject: Re: Data Storage Error
From: "Jason Morgan - I.T." <Jason.Morgan AT BLAENAU-GWENT.GOV DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 10:33:40 -0000
IBM RS/6000 SP AIX 4.2.1
ADSM 3.1.20.42 IBM3575-L06

4 STGPOOLS BACKUPPPOOL ( DISK used as a cahing area) 3570BACKPOOL
                                                            3570ARCHPOOL
                                        3570COPYPOOL

I have been experiencing the same problem myself recently. I tried setting
my maxscratch values to 9999 in my tape storage pool in the hierarchy. This
appeared to have no effect. At the time we had 15 scratch tapes in the
library anyway !!!!!

There didnt seem to be anything strange in the activity log. I tried
lowering the maxsize parameter so that more files would go to
direct to tape.  This appeared to have no effect.

Then looked at the stats for my disk storage pool after the Data Storage
errors Hig Mig 90 Low mig 10 Pct Util 99.5 Pct Mig 65.
The conclusion I came to was that I was never actually reaching the high
migration threshold therby.

To overcome the problem, I set up an admin schedule to run daily which
lowers the high migration value to 40 and "flushes" the disk storage pool.
This seems to be working at the moment.

However, I am considering switching caching off for the disk storage pool
which will probable fix the problem. In our organisation we hardly do any
restore so caching is not really needed.

Jason Morgan
Technical Support Analyst
B.G.C.B.C