ADSM-L

Re: Data Storage Error

1999-11-11 15:53:38
Subject: Re: Data Storage Error
From: Becky Buechler <Buechlerb AT SCHNEIDER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:53:38 -0600
Hi Bill,

I just went through this with a few of my disk pools. There are some hits
out in ADSM on what to do when this happens. One is to turn off caching if
you are using it on the clients.  The other is to turn off disk caching in
the disk storage pools.

Here is how I understood the problem to be from the IBM APARS...

When ADSM first decides to send a file to the disk pool he roughly
calculates how much room it will need. When ADSM does this he also looks at
how much space is being used up with cached files and knows he can delete
them if needed to get enough space. However, there are times when the
'rough' calculation isn't enough so ADSM tries once again to look at how
much space he needs but the second time around ADSM does not look at the
space available from deleting the cached files and you get the  'server out
of storage space'. I was getting this error message constantly for a few
days on two new clients. I turned off caching to my storage pools and I
haven't had a problem since.

Of course this may only help you if it is writing to a disk storage pool
and if you can give up the benefits of caching.

Becky Buechler
Schneider National Inc.
buechlerb AT schneider DOT com
920-592-8331

                    ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR

                    IST.EDU              To:     Becky
Buechler/Schneider@Schneider,
                                         ADSM-L@ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU@SMTP@exchange
                    11/11/1999           cc:

                    12:37 PM             Subject:      Data Storage Error

Hi everyone,

    I am receiving a Data Storage error when running an incremental backup
through ADSM.   The message that I am receiving states:  Server out of Data
Storage Space.   I am not sure how to find out where the actual problem is
and how to fix.  Andy help would be grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Bill Wheeler
AIX Administrator
La-Z-Boy Incorporated
bill.wheeler AT la-z-boy DOT com <mailto:bill.wheeler AT la-z-boy DOT com>