ADSM-L

Re: Antwort: "full" backups on AIX nodes

2015-10-04 17:37:12
Subject: Re: Antwort: "full" backups on AIX nodes
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Yes. I second this idea. It could really take this product to a higher
level.

I've struggled in vain to come up with a select statement that would allow
me to know on which volumes
the active data for a node is stored. I can do it for active and inactive
but this doesn't get me where I want to be.

A move active data function such as this would be great.

It could help alleviate a lot of the performance problems associated with
data restores, especially on the NT platform.
A number of the drives on our NT Servers are 100Gb. Even with filespace
collocation we are limited in the number of simultaneous restore processes
we can kick off before the restore processes start banging heads asking for
the same tape.

If I knew in advance which tapes held the active data or better still if a
command to move active data existed, prior to peforming the restore I would
move this data to the disk buffer and then execute multiple restore
processes. Restores would really fly then!

I can't forsee this being a monumental task since the ADSM Client already
knows how to query for active data when it performs the restore and is able
to ask the ADSM Server for the appropriate tapes. How much work can it be?

Nathan