ADSM-L

Re: Backup Event log revisited

1999-11-10 20:22:11
Subject: Re: Backup Event log revisited
From: John Monahan <JohnMonahan AT LIBERTYDIVERSIFIED DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 19:22:11 -0600
If you have the NT Resource Kit, you could use the DUMPEL.EXE utility
which will dump your event logs to a tab separated text file.  Then you
should have no problems backing up the text file.  Not sure if that dump
could then be imported back in to event viewer format or not.

John Monahan
Network Administrator
Liberty Diversified Industries
(612) 536-6677

                    Nathan King
                    <nathan.king@        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    USAA.COM>            cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Backup Event log revisited
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    11/09/99
                    09:03 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

I tried Joshua's suggestion (and a good one at that)

To use an include statement to process the NT event logs.

It kind of works.. Yes it does back them up, but when I restore them NT
tells me they are corrupt.

Bummer...

One thing I did notice the other day while performing a client trace is
that
BackupEvent  [yes | no ]  is considered a valid option in the dsm.opt file.
Problem is that it doesn't actually do anything. Apparently a work in
progress here.....

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Nathan

Nathan King
MCSE, IBM ADSM CS
Open Systems Storage Management
*  (210) 913-5755
* Pager: 753-5755
* E-mail: nathan.king AT usaa DOT com

The opinions herein are mine and almost certainly do not reflect those of
my
employer.