ADSM-L

HSM recall question

1999-11-06 10:02:41
Subject: HSM recall question
From: Ruth Mitchell <mitchell AT TC.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 10:02:41 -0500
HSM users,

We have a need to recall a large number of files (many thousands,
>1TB) from a single, large (34GB) HSM filesystem (AIX HSM client,
v3.1.0.6 with fixes).

I have experimented with dsmattr -Recallmode=Readwithoutrecall,
which seemed like a good idea at first, in small-scale tests, but has
turned out to be problematic on a large scale, exactly as described in
the HSM Client User's Guide.

Next, I thought it might make sense to set the -Recallmode=migonclose.
I've tried this on a small scale, and it seems to work. The drawback
of using dsmattr is that it must be set explicitly on migrated files.
I am wondering if dsmmode (-Recall=Migonclose) is what we really should
be using.

Does anyone with HSM experience doing this kind of procedure have any
input they would be willing to share with us?

Many thanks,

--Ruth Mitchell
  Cornell Theory Center
  Cornell Theory Center