ADSM-L

bare metal recorery: cannot relsolve NTFS - Paths (was: Driveletter)

1999-11-03 08:47:35
Subject: bare metal recorery: cannot relsolve NTFS - Paths (was: Driveletter)
From: Reinald Gf|llner <gfullner AT BATIAN.LPR.E-TECHNIK.TU-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 14:47:35 +0100
After doing a WinNT 4.0 (SP5) bare metal recorery
  NTFS-Paths could not be resolved correctly.

I was following the instructions of adsm bare-metal-recovery-guide
SG24-4880-00, pg 159ff. I

used an auxiliary WinNT-Installation Y:\WINNT,
added an empty sparedisk to that system in the same position the
  original system had been: Primary IDE Master, Driveletter C:
  Y:\WINNT was moved from Primary to Secundary IDE Master.
booted the auxiliary WinNT-Installation Y:\WINNT as Secondary
  IDE Master from a floppy-startup-enviroment with adapted boot.ini
did the restauration to c:
coppied sam;security;software;system;default from adsm.sys to
  winnt\system32\config

( In addition I found that any preexistant partitiontable had to be
  carefully deleted from the sparedisk in the beginning using
  linux-fdisk.
  This point is not mentioned in SG24-4880-00.  Just recreating the
  partitions with NT DiskManager leads to the reapearance of old but
  aparently "undead" driveletters after restauration was done. )

After booting the restored system:

C:\progra~1\Mouse\... is not found
     ( it was  German WinNT-Release, so there existed
        "\Programme"    besides
        "\Programm Files" )
at least ond service could not start,
eventlogging seems to be started but does not record new events,
ADSM-Acceptor-Service could not be started with
  error 003: path not found
dsm-shortcut on the desktop says: Language not defined
  (dsm itself however can be started however directly in its directory)

System starts up and is accepted in the domain, driveletter is correct,
backup and restauration is complete.

what else could be the problem ?

please reply. I don't have a glimps of idea what to do next.

Thanks !

  Reinald

--