ADSM-L

Re: Volume Consolidation.

1999-10-30 23:05:12
Subject: Re: Volume Consolidation.
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT NERSP.NERDC.UFL DOT EDU>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 23:05:12 -0400
=> On Fri, 29 Oct 1999 19:50:39 -0700, ANGEL BUGARIN
<ANGEL.BUGARIN AT MAIL.SPRINT DOT COM> said:

> What I am doing is defining new 5 db and 3 log volumes to
> the second copy.  Then I would delete the second copy old
> 16 db and 12 log volumes. Yes, the new 5 db and 3 log volumes
> are as big as the old 16 db and 12 log volumes respectively.

Let me restate this, to see if I understand:

Your intended intermediate state is:

   Primary   Copy 1
db:  12       5
log:  8       3

Right?

Wrong.  Take a look at your Administrator's Reference, doc on the command
"define dbcopy". A copy dbvolume is a copy of _one_ primary volume.  You can
have extra space if you want; it is wasted. You must have at least one dbcopy
per dbvolume if you want your entire database to be mirrored.

If you're planning on never breaking the mirror, here's the algorithym to go
through:

1) define one new, larger volume, and its copy.

   You should have extra space in the database now.

2) delete one or two (or however many) smaller volumes and their copies.

   This will take a while, as ADSM has to move data from the exiting volume.

> My plan after the second copy consolidation, whether the
> copies are in sync or not, is to do the same for the first copy.

If you don't care about the sync state, (i.e. you can go through a time with
the mirror broken) then break the mirror to begin with, slay all the old,
small copy volumes, and define all your new database volumes and copies to
begin with.  Then it's just a matter of deleting the old, small, unmirrored
volumes one at a time.

Allen S. Rout