ADSM-L

Re: HACMP config for ADSM

1999-10-29 18:12:01
Subject: Re: HACMP config for ADSM
From: Rodrigo Gazzaneo <rodrigo_gazzaneo AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 17:12:01 EST
Hi again,

> Second is a particular opinion that although ADSM is
> installed on /usr/lpp/adsmserv, you should never
> keep your configuration files and even your ADSM
> startup directory on ROOTVG, because if you needed
> to restore from mksysb tape you would be erasing
> important application configuration.

     Like what?

Like dsmserv.opt, like dsmserv.dsk, like volhist and
devconfig. If they are overwritten for older versions,
your ADSM may go very crazy ...

No other savevg tapes required.

If you feel ok, than it is ok for you.

On bigger sites and bigger corporations, it is normal
that different people and different areas take care of,
let4s say, AIX system, backup with ADSM, database,...
so it is a good policy to keep everything separate, in
order to reduce inter-area damage.

If you don4t have this kind of problem, and you know
where everything is, ok. The problem arises when you
have 20 people over a S80 server ...

  I guess the thing I don't understand from your statement is the part
about "if you needed to restore from mksysb tape you would be erasing
important application information".

Suppose your server crashes. Suppose your system disks
crashes. You replace them, reinstall from tape,
re-import the shared VGs and sit back happily after all.

You didn4t lose any config data because they were never
affected by the rootvg crash. You didn4t have
to rewrite dsmserv.opt. You didn4t have to
restore it from ADSM. It is a matter of choice
for less trouble and better administration.

Can you provide me with a specifc example of something that would be
messed up with a mksysb?

Once again. Hdisk0, hdisk1 is rootvg. ADSM is
on rootvg, dsmserv.opt, dsmserv.dsk is on
rootvg. You have a crash. You replace your
disks and reinstall your system image.

If your last system image (for instance is
your weekend system image) doesn4t have
your last changes of dsmserv.opt, dsmserv.dsk
and volhist, you will have a config file in
the wrong version that might cause
problem.

Of course you won4t notice until you
can4t access a certain volume, or a volume
in disk is never used ...

Then you will have to restore the file,
stop your ADSM server, restart it.

It seems to be no problem if you have
a small site. But on bigger environments,
non-stop applications, DBs throwing logs
all over the site, well, ... not that easy, ....

regards,
Rodrigo

[sighhhhh ...]