ADSM-L

AW: NT-Driveletters survive Deletion of Filespace ?

1999-10-29 06:46:44
Subject: AW: NT-Driveletters survive Deletion of Filespace ?
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:46:44 +0200
Reinald,
NT seems to put some information on driveletters into the partition table
(or an equivalent place) of the harddisk you boot from. This data also
includes information about the SCSI hostadapter:

On a test machine I had a zipdrive connected to an Adaptec host adapter and
assigned "P:" for the driveletter to use. After changing the device to an
NCR adapter it appeared as drive "E:". The device was not in use very often,
so I didn't change this. I only found it quite interesting that the
driveletter changed back to "P:" after I occasionally put the device back to
the old adapter...

After having completed the restore you mentioned, I'd suggest the following
steps:
Log in using a local Admin account (not an account you usually work with,
as bindings to applications could get damaged when the drive is not
accessible).
use the drive manager tool to reassign the driveletters if they have
changed. Here start with non-system drives and reassign your bootdrive
afterwards (as it's the only one that requires a reboot).

We always found it very helpful to put the driveletter somewhere into the
volume label, so you don't have to try to find out the driveletter from the
contents of a drive (we use names like "SRV2838_D").

Regards,
Michael
--
Michael H. Bartl