ADSM-L

Re: Strange Connect Agent Error

1999-10-26 09:47:17
Subject: Re: Strange Connect Agent Error
From: Chris Zaremba <zaremba AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:47:17 -0400
Nathan,

>7p.m ADSM Client Service runs the command to start the Exchange Backup.
>7.45p.m ADSM Client service reports that it has successfully executed the
>Exchange Backup command. (however the output shows that the backup completed
>with the Exchange Error: There is no backup in progress. Looks like it had
>sent about 14Gb of data)
>
>Seconds later all the Exchange Services shutdown normally and then restart.
>This doesn't look like an abnormal shutdown as there are no STOP events.

This is a guess but it sounds like someone had initiated a shutdown of the
exchange services while the backup
was in progress.  The shutdown was pending until the backup completed but once
it completed, the services went
away before the final API call was made (there are 2 calls made to exchange at
the end of a backup, a backup close
and a backup end).  I suspect that after the first call was made, the shutdown
proceeded and we got the error on the
second API call.  Again, this is just conjecture but seems plausible given the
info you provided.

Otherwise, I can't imagine why we would get a msg from exchange indicating "No
backup in progress".

Chris Zaremba
TDP Client (formerly ADSM Agent) Development
internet  zaremba AT us.ibm DOT com