ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Exchange

1999-10-25 11:18:58
Subject: Re: ADSM and Exchange
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 10:18:58 -0500
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents also and pass on my support in your
argument.

It's much more reassuring to know that the Connect Agent utilizes the
Exchange API rather than relying upon alternative / unsupported API's.
I for one like the ADSM Connect Agent and overall I am satisifed with the
product. We replaced the existing Backup Exec (ADSM option) with the Connect
Agent and have found it to offer superior performance and reliability when
tuned correctly.

That doesn't mean I think the product is perfect, I still have my own
personal wish list for this product e.g. meaningful error messages (see

Brick Level Backup may sound appealing, but as some others have stated it is
both slow and also requires more storage. Some businesses may see it as a
critical need, but I do not. If someone needs a single mailbox restored then
that's just one user with an outage. Probably not a big deal unless he's
your CEO. However when the whole server goes down you need the restore asap
and that's where brick level backup will fail to deliver.

Personally I just don't think 100Gb stores are a good idea right now. While
100Gb stores will allow you to consolidate some hardware, the placing of all
of the eggs in one basket does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Most of
the instances where we've had to restore Exchange Databases have been the
result of logical corruption , not hardware failure. Exchange 6.0 is
supposed to provide for multiple databases on one server. This should help
ease this dilemna slightly as you could then have two 50Gb stores on the
same hardware without all of the risks. It should also make backup/recovery
more workable.

Nathan