ADSM-L

SQL-BackTrack Expiration vs ADSM Expiration

1999-10-22 10:30:51
Subject: SQL-BackTrack Expiration vs ADSM Expiration
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:30:51 -0400
> We have an SQL-BackTrack client who has their file expiration set for 30
> days, within SQL-BackTrack.
> The ADSM expiration rules for these backups are to keep a maximum of 10
> versions, with a 180 limit for the only backup version. SQL-BackTrack shares
> the same STANDARD management class with the majority of our clients.
> If our SQL-BackTrack backs up the same files daily, does ADSM expire them
> according to the 10 version limit, that is, after 10 days?
> Or will ADSM honor the SQL-BackTrack expiration limit of 30 days?

Each backup of the database will go through the following sequence:
1.SQL-BackTrack will pick a unique file name for that day's backup.
2.SQL-BackTrack will tell the ADSM server that a new file has been created
with the selected name, and send the database backup as the contents of that
file.
3.After 30 days, SQL-BackTrack will tell the ADSM server that the file has
been deleted.
4.Because SQL-BackTrack uses a new file name for each day's backup, the
deleted file will fall under the 'only version' rules, and will finally be
deleted from the ADSM database 180 days after step 3.