ADSM-L

Control of tape usage and age

1999-10-22 10:09:36
Subject: Control of tape usage and age
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:09:36 -0400
> I would like to know if ADSM/TSM controls tape usage, like, for
> instance, if certain volume has been too used and should not be
> used anymore.
>
> What is the unit TSM uses to measure it : time, mounts, number
> of writes ?

ADSM keeps track of the number of times each storage pool volume is mounted
and the number of write passes. I think the number of write passes is the
number of times ADSM starts writing data from the load point (as opposed to
the number of times it appends data to a partially full tape). This
information is an indication of tape wear only for tapes permanently defined
in a storage pool. When scratch tapes are used, the counters are set to zero
each time a tape is taken from the scratch pool. ADSM will not retire a tape
from service or even suggest that a tape be retired on the basis of the two
counters. I suppose one could write a script to examine the counters and flag
tapes that exceeded threshholds determined by the script writer.