ADSM-L

Re: How to determine if a file has gotten to copy storage pool

1999-10-21 07:31:25
Subject: Re: How to determine if a file has gotten to copy storage pool
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 07:31:25 -0400
>    I have a customer with an unusual request, but what they want is a
>perfectly legitimateconcern.  They have some very critical data that
>need to archive on a daily basis, and then they want to delete the data
>as soon as a good copy gets to tape.  There is too much data being
>generated this way to keep it around for more than a few days.
>    The problem is, they don't exactly trust tape, and with good
>reason.  They use DLT7000s, and they get a bad tape about once a month
>or so.

A shop dealing with critical data needs tape drives which are better
than the "Las Vegas" level DLT stuff.  Your customer should put money
where the needs are and go for reliable tape technology, as available
from Magstar and similar premium quality vendors.  It's technology
like the DLTs which cause end users to distrust tape and give all of
us administrators such a hard time.
     Richard Sims, BU