ADSM-L

Re: HELP NEEDED: I/O ERRORS WITH DLT IV-TAPES

1999-10-20 14:07:54
Subject: Re: HELP NEEDED: I/O ERRORS WITH DLT IV-TAPES
From: "Walter, Jeannine" <Jeannine_Walter AT PURINA-MILLS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:07:54 -0500
I get those errors all the time on my STK9714 drives.  I've had StorageTek
and IBM out to replace drives and determine the problem.  Neither has been
successful.  To the best of my knowledge I get those errors when the drive
needs to be cleaned.  The 9714 does not clean the drive immediately when the
amber light comes on.  It waits until ADSM asks for the drive.  Then it
cleans the drive.  What seems to happen is ADSM requests the drive, 9714
says hold on, drive needs to be cleaned and then ADSM registers an error
because it cannot immediately access the drive.  Why does it do that?  Beats
me.  Things proceed as normal after that.  Yet I have seen tapes disappear
(still in the library but ADSM does not know anything about them) and tapes
with read and write errors because of this.  I end up checking the library
often for volumes that are read/only or unavailable.  Then do lots of
auditing of tapes and of the library.  It's quite the pain and I think ADSM
and the 9714 should talk to each other better.  Next library I get will be
one vendor only.  I hate vendors who point fingers.  And in this case 3
vendors (IBM, StorageTek and Quantum) are involved.

Regards,
Jeannine Walter

Purina Mills, Inc.
St. Louis, MO