ADSM-L

Re: Macintosh experiences

1999-10-19 16:15:31
Subject: Re: Macintosh experiences
From: Jim Jepson <jepson AT APPLE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 13:15:31 -0700
Hi Brett,

I use ADSM in very mixed vendor environment.  Almost all my general user
systems are Macs, with many of my servers running AIX, Sun OS, HPUX and
few NT boxes.

I don't have the best news for you.  The version three clients are much
more Mac like, yet they still have to be continually running to work
properly.  The most recent version of the Mac client initially looked
very promising.  It comes with a separate scheduler that claims to runs
completely in the background.  The problem is that scheduler continually
pops up every five minutes to check with the ADSM server.  It is
annoying to say the least.

IBM is well aware of the problem.  We have a APAR logged with them, and
they claim it will be fixed Q1 2000.  They call it PTF level nine.  So
for now, we still back up user machines with Retrospect.  Our server
don't have a problem with another application continually running, so
all our servers (including my Mac Servers) use ADSM client version 3
level 6 or 7.

We have been very happy with the restore performance.  On the occasions
we've had a restore, the system has really shined.  The admins used to
working with Retrospect are surprised how quickly we get things
restored.  I've restored data to one of our servers in under 60 seconds.
 It just happened to be sitting in the initial disk storage pool.

Jim