ADSM-L

Native GUI for TSM 3.7 Design Request - Long post

1999-10-15 11:05:58
Subject: Native GUI for TSM 3.7 Design Request - Long post
From: JerryLawson <jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:05:58 -0400
Date:     October 15, 1999              Time: 10:51 AM
From:     Jerry Lawson
          The Hartford Insurance Group
(860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
Warning - This is a long posting.
Warning - This is a long posting.

As you may remember, I posted a message last week about the lack of a Native
GUI for the TSM 3.7 clients - I use the Win-32 client, and when I started up
the GUI admin, and tried to close it, it failed.  I have since found another,
similar, and more serious failure with the 3.1 admin GUI once a client has
been upgraded to TSM 3.7.  This had to do with Delete Filespace processing.
I wanted to delete some filespaces associated with a specific node.  I tried
to do what I have always done in this case - I set up an include criteria for
the node in question, received back a list of filespaces, highlighted the
ones I wanted, and then went to edit pulldown, and selected "delete"  I
received back the ANS8003 message, and when I looked in the error log it told
me that the messages were missing from the repository.  The filespaces were
not deleted.

I then attempted to do this with the web based client.  The result was not a
pretty picture.  I can get a list of filespaces for a node, but I cannot
delete files from that list.  I can delete filespaces from the list, but must
type in the filespace name, and the node name for each individual entry.
This time I had approximately 25.  I would like to meet the designer who
thinks this is an improvement.  I can also use the CLI *which I ultimately
did) but the process is case sensitive.  Such fun!

Needless to say, I went on a search to discover a way to get the native GUI
back, since I suspected the problem to be with our old friend, the message
repository, or DSCAMENG.TXT as we know it in the US.  I have been successful
with this, and I can share this if you are interested.  Doing the uninstall,
and reinstall had one problem - it cleaned up all of the registry entries for
the GUI, so I had to spend time setting these all up again.  I do not
recommend that if you can avoid it, and my process does.

When I posted the original note, I identified in a subsequent note that
Tivoli said that the GUI was no longer supported, but they would accept a
design request to add it back.  The support center has accepted my request,
and the number assigned to it is REQ00075388.  I have been informed that you
can add your own endorsement to it if you contact your Tivoli representative.
 I encourage you to do so.  I will append the text of the Design Request
below my signature.

In the meantime, thanks to every one who responded to the initial note.  The
only way we can get Tivoli to listen is if we make enough noise, so please
feel free to stop lurking in the background, and state your position.

                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry

Request title         Administration GUI Client

Descriptive Information
Want or need          The native GUI Admin client needs to be made available
                     with TSM 3.7.  Development activities on the native GUI
                     need to be unfrozen, and functionality levels be
                     brought up to date wherever possible.
Benefit               The native Admin GUI provides the fastest, easiest to
use
                     interface to Administrative functions.  The web based
                     Admin client is slower, not as easy to use, lacks
                     filtering criteria, and is not as user friendly.
                     It also opens the door to problems caused by the web
                     browser itself.
Time limit            Immediately
Solution              Reinstate the ADSM V3 Admin GUI.  Enhance it with the
new
                     Features for TSM 3.7, delivering this functionality in
                     subsequent PTFs if necessary to avoid delaying the
                     return of a supported native GUI admin client..
Impact                I cannot implement TSM 3.7 without a usable admin GUI
                     give to the local administrators who do the day to day
 support of ADSM/TSM clients.
Environment           All TSM clients where the GUI is supported.
Clarification         The Admin GUI is a key part of the administration of
TSM.
                     While there are some environments where having a web
                     based admin client is valuable, it is not a valid
                     solution to all environments.  The proxy server is of
                     some help, but does not solve the basic problem,
                     missing functionality, and cannot avoid all web browser
                     issues.  Using the web based client for all admin
                     functions makes an  administrator's job  more
                     difficult, when the objective should be to make it
                     easier.  The native GUI is a better, more consistent
                     interface with features such as windowing that cannot
                     be added to the web interface.  Additionally, using a
                     web browser based admin places TSM at the mercy of
                     changes to web browsers that might impact operation or
                     performance.
Business solution value
Ranking              5
Investment protection
value                5
End user productivity
value                5
Growth enablement value  4
Systems management value 5
Value                 An Admin client is provided to do one thing - to allow
the
                     customer to manage the product.  It's goal must be to
                     allow the customer to do this job in the most efficient
                     manner possible.  Failure to do so can result in a
                     product that may be great in functionality, but
                     completely unmanageable.  While the web based GUI does
                     not leave us with an unmanageable product, it does
                     significantly hamper our ability to manage the product.
                     Reinstating the native GUI admin client will reduce the
                     amount of time it takes administrate the various
                     functions of TSM.  This equates to a definite positive
                     value to any company, as it reduces the workload of
                     individuals who are already being pulled to many ways.
                     The addition of support for new features of ADSM/TSM
                     will enhance the value even further.

Related information
Keywords              Administrator Admin GUI native