ADSM-L

Re: VCR data

1999-10-15 10:06:57
Subject: Re: VCR data
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:06:57 -0400
There is a problem either with the tape or with the drive.  In my
experience, there is usually a write error that occurred before you
get the "Repairing VCR data", and ADSM marks the tape readonly.

ACT NOW! Move the data off the tapes ASAP.

From the fact that it has happened with a number of tapes, and you
haven't had the problem before, I am led to suspect that the read/write
head on the tape drive needs to be replaced.  Talk it over with your
CE.

If your media is 3570 (Magstar MP cartridges), be aware that IBM had
manufacturing problems which led to edge crinkle on the tape from
June 1997 through December 1997.  Check the date codes on the tapes
to see if they should be replaced.  Again, your CE can help here.

(Curiosity: Anybody know if IBM have similar problems with the 3590
tapes in that time period?)

Rich

At 07:39 AM 10/15/99 -0500, you wrote:
> I have gotten this VCR error several times in the last few days.  Any
>particular thing that could be causing these?
> It does not happen on the same volume every time.  It has happened on
>several different ones.
>
>ANR8820W Repairing VCR data for Volume 0C1C78 in drive
>                       DRIVE3 (/dev/rmt3); mount may be delayed.
>
>Thanks
>
>Brad

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company              fax:   716-722-3885
Rochester, NY 14650-2203