ADSM-L

DRM or not DRM.

1999-10-15 05:53:21
Subject: DRM or not DRM.
From: Geetam Van Der Dussen <geetam AT SCOTPROV.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:53:21 +0100
Friends

I agree with Thomas and can confirm that we have also done a successful
Disaster Recovery test using DRM.

I would like to add that ADSM DRM also simplifies the off-site media
management. Most DR products only "pay-off" when you need it. (DR products
are like an insurance premium, you pay for something you hope you will
never use.) ADSM DRM helps with moving tapes off-site and recalling them,
making a daily procedure easier (daily cost saving!).

Just a little niggle, it is not perfect: when we did our DR test, we found
a number of tapes off-site which did not have any data on them (as far as I
could see in volumes, volumeusage and drmedia, but the last entry in
volhistory said "STGNEW"...). We decided to audit our off-site media with a
report from drmedia every few months.

Regards
     Geetam