ADSM-L

Netware Client 3.1.07

1999-10-14 16:33:40
Subject: Netware Client 3.1.07
From: Dale-Mark Mock <dmock AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:33:40 -0600
I guess some clarification needs to be done here.

IC24389 which replaces IP21617 still supports MAC name space
as all previous version of the ADSM/TSM client has for backup and
restore.

This is because ADSM/TSM uses the SMS/TSA interface provided
from Novell NetWare.
If a file is backed up and restored to it's original location all information
about that file should be restored (trustee rights, namespace supported,
etc.).    This is because of the unique way ADSM/TSM works with
SMS.   The SMS/TSA interface gives ADSM/TSM a SIDF buffer which
contains all the information about the file.   When ADSM restores to the
same location we just give this SIDF buffer back to SMS/TSA.
And Novell NetWare via this SIDF buffer recreates the file.  This has
not changed in any release of ADSM/TSM NetWare client code shipped.

Now what was changed starting with IP21617/IC24389 is that ADSM now
uses the long name for restores, backups and query's instead of the
DOS 8.3 name.   This change was done so customers can more
easily identify files that have been backed up to ADSM/TSM, when
doing a restore.   Prior to this change the DOS or 8.3 name did not
clearly identify which files needed to be restore and in may cases
NetWare administrators had to restore multiple files to find the one
they wanted.  So the change only affects how ADSM/TSM displays
files and directories.

In regards to IC24389 not supporting the MAC namespace.   If
only the DOS and MAC name space are installed on a NetWare volume.
ADSM will use the DOS name of the file's or directories when backing
up.   This DOS name is only used in identifying the file as it is
backed up for restores or query's.   This does not affect the SIDF
buffer, which contains the MAC name space support.   As long as
the NetWare volume has the MAC name space installed and the file
is being restored to it's original location.   The MAC name space
representing the file should be restored via the SMS/TSA interface.

If you require a more detailed name of the file being backed up.  It is
recommended that the LONG name space support be added to any
volume containing only DOS and MAC namespace.

Regards
Dale Mark Mock
IBM/ADSM/TSM Client Development

>Can anybody tell me where to get ip21617.exe ?

>Following the links from the Tivoli web site only
>provides me with ic24389.exe which doesn't have MAC file
>support. Thanks.

Regards & Thanks:
Dale Mark Mock
ADSM Client Development