ADSM-L

Re: EMC Dasd

1999-10-12 09:44:37
Subject: Re: EMC Dasd
From: Ehland Ann J <ehland.aj AT MELLON DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:44:37 -0400
We have been using Innovation's FDR/SOS for over a year.  Yes, the DASD must
be EMC.  Since we have our ADSM servers on MVS, and are attempting to
centralize all backups, it was a natural progression for us to utilize
FDR/SOS as well.  Through FDR/SOS we use EMC's Backup Continuance Volumes
(BCV's) and backup the mirrored copy.  FDR/SOS also allows us to issue the
EMC commands to Establish and Split the BCV's in the job running in MVS.

To date we are achieving approximately 20 gigabytes/hour throughput with
FDR/SOS.

Keep in mind that FDR/SOS only performs full-volume backups, therefore,
full-volume restores. With FDR/Upstream/SOS, you have a client defined on a
workstation/server with host server being MVS.  Using this method, you use
the network only to communicate between the client and the host, giving you
the possibility of incremental backups and restores.  The actual backup
transfers takes place up on the host, therefore removing any bandwidth
limitations of SNA/APPC or TCP/IP.

We've not considered implementing FDR/Upstream/SOS because we and the
applications are quite satisfied with the results of FDR/SOS alone.

However, we still continue to use ADSM because it's infinitely better in
supporting small file backups, thus allowing us to do individual file
restores.  In addition, not all of servers have EMC DASD.  Finally, FDR/SOS
is not a replacement of DFSMSdss in OS/390.  FDR/SOS, a separate product
from FDR (the DSS alternative), uses special techniques to read Open Systems
volumes in the EMC Symmetrix.  I don't believe FDR/SOS is able to recognize
normal MVS volumes.

Ann...