ADSM-L

Re: moving storage pool to other libray?

1999-10-12 05:16:24
Subject: Re: moving storage pool to other libray?
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 22:16:24 +1300
> I would like to move a complete storage pool from one library to another on
> the same server under a different name.

Probably not, but read on...

Looking at the ADSM hierarchy

  Volumes are tied to storage pools
  Storage pools are tied to device classes
  Device classes are tied to libraries
  Libraries are made up of a manager and physical drives

ADSM seems to let you change the library used by a given device class
(update devclass oneclass LIBRARY=new).

But that would change *all* the storage pools and so move all the
volumes in the library, regardless of which pool they were in.

There is no option [given in the help, I am not going to try ;)] to
update the device class of a storage pool.  Nor can you change the
storage pool of one volume.

Unless updating the device class does what you want, the simplest
thing to do move the data from one pool to the other.

1.  Use MOVE DATA volXXX stg=POOL2 on each volume in POOL1.

2.  Set "update stg POOL1 NEXTSTG=POOL2 LOW=0 HIGH=0" and let ADSM
    migrate data from one pool to the other.

3.  If you have tapes with lots of "holes" from expired files AND tape
    drives that behave poorly when data stops streaming in, e.g.,
    DLT drives,  then moving via a disk pool is a good option

    Set the nextstg option on a disk pool to POOL2
    Move data from each volume in POOL1 to the disk pool

    When the disk pool reaches its migration threshold, the contents
    will be streamed to POOL2 tapes.  This can be *considerably*
    quicker than tape-to-tape copies.

None of these methods are quick for large amounts of data.

Russell