ADSM-L

TSM 3.7 GUI Admin - did I miss something?

2015-10-04 17:38:07
Subject: TSM 3.7 GUI Admin - did I miss something?
From: JerryLawson [mailto:jlawson AT THEHARTFORD DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date:     October 7, 1999               Time: 1:32 PM
From:     Jerry Lawson
          The Hartford Insurance Group
(860)  547-2960          jlawson AT thehartford DOT com
-
-
Yesterday I downloaded the TSM 3.7 (Sorry - I'm just an Acronym sort of guy)
Yesterday I downloaded the TSM 3.7 (Sorry - I'm just an Acronym sort of guy)
client for Win32, and installed it on my machine.  I was a little bit of
surprised when I found that there was no GUI Admin client - just the GUI
backup client, and CLIs for the Backup and admin.  Well, maybe they were
rushed, and couldn't get it rolled out in time, I thought.

Then I tried my old 3.1 Admin GUI, and low and behold, it still seemed fine
-
after all, I haven't upgraded the server, so all should be well, right?  It
after all, I haven't upgraded the server, so all should be well, right?  It
was up until I shut it down, when it took an ANS8003S catastrophic error.  A
peek in the error log indicated that a couple of messages were missing from
the repository.  OK, I thought - time to report the problem, which I did.

The response, to my surprise, came back that there was no intention of
supporting a GUI for the Admin; we would now have to use a Web Browser
Interface.

I am still trying to see the logic in this.  My first inclination is that
some planners/developers have struck upon this as a neat way to avoid a GUI
application - they can now just use HTML and some Java.  Probably easier on
their end.  The trouble is, I don't think they have taken a look at anyone's
network lately.  In my shop, this would mean that I need to keep a Browser
loaded all the time (certainly not a big deal), but I must also now contend
with internet and intranet traffic.  Our firewall is not always the best; it
has sometimes caused outages to internet/intranet traffic when regular
TCP/IP
traffic to my server (OS/390) has not been impacted.  The bottom line is
that
I expect that response time will be slower, and availability will not be as
good.  Is this the way a major product should be going?

I think I understand some of the reasons given for web enabled clients, but
certainly do not want to have them as my sole means of access to a native
product.  I haven't been monitoring the list actively lately - has this been
a hot discussion item that people are clamoring for?  What did I miss?  What
do others think?
-
-
                                                     Jerry
                                                     Jerry

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over..and expecting the results to
be different - Anon.