ADSM-L

Redirected Output Format

1999-10-07 11:07:03
Subject: Redirected Output Format
From: Adam Slesinger <aslesinger AT US.BNSMC DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 11:07:03 -0400
Hello all,

I apologize if this question seems rudimentary. An interesting problem
has arisen with our setup here.  We're running ADSM 3.1.2.40 on AIX
4.2.1 and have customized scripts to manage the movement of copypool
tapes and db backup tapes to and from our offsite location.  In the
scripts, the output of several ADSM commands (q volh, q vol, etc.) are
redirected to certain files. These scripts have been running fine until
this morning.  The way the redirected output is formatted seems screwy
all of a sudden.  Typing "q vol stg=tapecopypool access=readw f=d" at
the admin command line generates the following output:

                   Volume Name: 000132
             Storage Pool Name: TAPECOPYPOOL
             Device Class Name: DLTCLASS
       Estimated Capacity (MB): 71,680.0
                      Pct Util: 2.8
                 Volume Status: Filling
                        Access: Read/Write
        Pct. Reclaimable Space: 0.0
               Scratch Volume?: Yes
               In Error State?: No
      Number of Writable Sides: 1
       Number of Times Mounted: 1
             Write Pass Number: 1
     Approx. Date Last Written: 10/07/99   05:11:34
        Approx. Date Last Read: 10/07/99   05:01:29
           Date Became Pending:
        Number of Write Errors: 0
         Number of Read Errors: 0
               Volume Location:
Last Update by (administrator):
         Last Update Date/Time: 10/07/99   05:01:17

Until this morning, this is the same way that the information would
appear if we directed it to a file with the command "dsmadmc -id=admin
-pass=pwd q vol stg=tapecopypool access=readw f=d > /tmp/qvol.txt"  Now,
the information seems to be presented in one continuous line that is
the information seems to be presented in one continuous line that is
wrapped such as the following.

Volume Name                  Storage         Device
Estimated       Pct
     Volume        Access               Pct.     Scratch
In         Number
      Number      Write      Approx.        Approx.          Date
Number
    Number     Volume       Last Update by         Last
                             Pool Name       Class Name
Capacity      Util
     Status                      Reclaimable     Volume?
Error            of
          of       Pass     Date Last      Date Last
Became           of
        of     Location     (administrator)       Update
                                                                 (MB)
                                       Space                 State?
Writable
       Times     Number      Written          Read
Pending        Write
      Read                                      Date/Time

Sides
     Mounted
Errors
    Errors
------------------------     -----------     ----------
---------     -----
---------     -----
    --------     -----------     -----------     -------     ------
    --------     -----------     -----------     -------     ------
--------
     -------     ------     ----------     ----------     ----------
     -------     ------     ----------     ----------     ----------
------
    ------     --------     ---------------     ----------
    ------     --------     ---------------     ----------
000132                       TAPECOPYPO-     DLTCLASS
71,680.0       2.8
    Filling      Read/Write              0.0       Yes
No              1
           1          1     10/07/99
10/07/99                           0
         0                                      10/07/99
                              OL

                             05:11:34       05:01:29
                                                 05:01:17

Nothing was changed to the scripts or ADSM server.  The only change that
occurred that was the client that resides on the same machine as the
server was upgraded to 3.1.0.7., but I don't see how that could affect
this!

Our scripts will not work properly with the output being formatted as
such.  Could anybody plz lend some ideas to how we can remedy this
situation?

Thanks for your time!

adam
Adam Slesinger