ADSM-L

Re: incr backups with varying mgm (2nd)

1999-10-07 09:22:08
Subject: Re: incr backups with varying mgm (2nd)
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 09:22:08 -0400
But, Ralf, _why_ do you need to hold inactive versions of these files for
more than a week or two?  Who will have need of the inactive files, and
for what purpose?  A good answer to these two questions will clarify things
enormously.

It is my suspicion that the really old versions are required for accounting
or regulatory reasons.  If that is true, then ARCHIVE the files once a month
(right after the books are closed for the month) into a management class
with a 366 day retention period.  Then, one year later, you will never have
more than 13 versions of the files in the archive copy group.  In the
meantime,
the backup copy group will always have the last VEREXISTS versions, one from
each of the last VEREXISTS days.

HTH,
Rich

At 08:52 AM 10/7/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Thanks for your response so far...
>
>I will try to explain what we want to do and what we expected from ADSM to
>do:
>May there be a file, which changes every day, so every backup will lead to a
>new active version of that file. Although we need to hold some inactive
>versions of that file for 1 year, we do not want to hold all 365 versions
>(we do not have the storage capacity for that...).
>
>If we do backups without versioning (i.e. nolimit) for example on weekdays
>with a retention period of 7 days, at Sunday with a retention period of 30
>days and at every 28th with a retention period of 365 days we expect, that
>the different bindings of the inactive files (-> 7, 30 or 365 days ret.
>per.) will never change, independent from the varying binding of the active
>file.
>
>I hope I could figure it out a little bit...
>
>TIA for any response
>
>R. Masa
>masa.ralf AT combibloc DOT com

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company              fax:   716-722-3885
Rochester, NY 14650-2203