ADSM-L

Re: Database deadlock

1999-10-05 15:10:54
Subject: Re: Database deadlock
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 15:10:54 -0400
It has been my experience that tape reclamation of offsite storage pools
is also implemented so that no input tape is mounted more than once.

Also, with ADSM's "Incrementals Forever!" policy, the same file is never
duplicated in any given pool.

Our approach has been to keep the reclaim parms at 100, except when we
want to reclaim tapes.  Thus, the last action of the daily hygiene scripts
is to UPDATE STGPOOL OFFSITE RECLAIM=70 (say).  At some later time in the
day, we put things back to 100.

Rich

At 02:00 PM 10/5/99 -0400, you wrote:
>> What is the reclaim value for the storagepool of the volume you
>> are deleting?  If it is less than 100%, maybe reclaim is trying to
>> work on the volume when it is half way thru the delete.  If so, set
>> the reclaim to 100% before starting the delete.
>
>The reclaim value for the storage pool is always kept at 100%.
>
>> You say "... every few days".  Are you deleting volumes every
>> few days?  With 'discarddata=yes'?  I am curious why you
>> are doing this.
>
>We consolidate the contents of offsite copy pool volumes by deleting low
>occupancy volumes and then running 'backup stgpool' commands to recopy the
>files whose offsite copies were on the deleted volumes. As far as I can tell,
>this approach is the best of three unsatisfactory alternatives. The other two
>alternatives I am aware of are using ADSM reclamation and running 'move data'
>commands for the low occupancy volumes. The trouble with ADSM reclamation is
>that there is no 'wait=yes' option for it. This would make it very difficult
>to integrate offsite volume consolidation into an orderly succession of ADSM
>housekeeping tasks. The 'move data' command does have a 'wait=yes' option,
but
>it is likely to trigger a larger number of input volume mounts than the
>process we are using. If two or more of the offsite tapes being consolidated
>contain files from the same onsite tape, the onsite tape will be mounted two
>or more times. I think the 'backup stgpool' command is designed in such a way
>that no input tape is mounted more than once.

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company              fax:   716-722-3885
Rochester, NY 14650-2203