ADSM-L

How to size an ADSM server?

1999-10-05 12:17:54
Subject: How to size an ADSM server?
From: "Richard L. Rhodes" <rhodesr AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:17:54 -5
We are looking at ADSM to replace our current backup system.
We've provided info to IBM/Tivoli on clients/GB/#files and
they are going to recommend a configuration.  We would
definitely be using an RS/6k as the ADSM server.

From what I'm understanding about ADSM, It's critical to get
the server sized correctly to be able to do all the db
processing for all files/directories during an incremental
backup.

I've been all through Tivoli's web site, ADSM manuals and
Redbooks looking for configuration help.  I think I've got an
idea of how to plan for disk, tape drives, and library space,
but I'm not finding much info on how to pick a processor for
the server.  Things like RS/6k model, number of processors
and memory.

This system would have to backup:

Clients = 80
TotalGB = 3,434
TotalFiles = 5,506,403

It would be set up to allow point-in-time recovery within 4
months.  This could very easily expand to 6 months for some
clients and a full year for a couple.  I understand this all
depends on the files that change over time, which I don't
have a good handle (yet).

So, a questions:

1)  What kind of processor configuration do you use and how
many files is it able processed for a incremential backup?

(On the other hand, if I'm approaching this all wrong I'd
want to know that also!)

Looking for advice . . . .

rick
Richard L. Rhodes     e: rhodesr AT firstenergycorp DOT com
Richard L. Rhodes     e: rhodesr AT firstenergycorp DOT com
Ohio Edison Co.       p: 330-384-4904
                      f: 330-384-2514