ADSM-L

Category in 3494 Shared

1999-10-01 15:56:39
Subject: Category in 3494 Shared
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 15:56:39 -0400
>             My 3494 is shared with Mainframe and Netfinity running NT
> and my ADSM Server!
>             How can I put "FF00" category in my tapes on the 3494
> library ??? When I put the tapes into the library it receives "000F"
> category !!! I change the tape category manually using the mtlib program
> on NT but I don't think this is the correct method!

We have a 3494 shared among three MVS systems. When a tape is inserted each
MVS system is notified by means of an interrupt and the library manager
software on each system invokes a locally written exit routine named CBRUXENT,
which can select a category for the volume. At our site the exit routine on
one system consults the CA-7 tape management system to find out whether the
tape is a scratch volume or not, and then consults a table of serial number
ranges to figure out what category is appropriate. The exit routine on each of
the other two systems returns immediately with a return code that tells the
library manager not to change anything.

I suspect that the NT software support for the 3494 includes some counterpart
of the CBRUXENT routine, which could be used to assign appropriate categories
to ADSM tapes.

If you want the same category on all incoming ADSM tapes, you could even have
the CBRUXENT routine on the mainframe take care of category assignments for
ADSM.