ADSM-L

Re: ADSM crash - recovery log problem ?

1999-09-28 07:20:18
Subject: Re: ADSM crash - recovery log problem ?
From: Steven Bridge <ccaasub AT UCL.AC DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:20:18 +0100
Thanks again to those people who made suggestions about our
problems last week.

I've just about got my head above water again - so a little time to
report back on how we got ADSM working again.

As IBM hadn't come back with any answers after ADSM had been
down almost a week, we decided we had no choice but to try and
rebuild everything from scratch. So we took a 'new' RS/6000,
reinstalled AIX 4.3 , reinstalled ADSM up to the latest level,
added new disks to hold the new database and restored the db
from the most recent backup. After a few minor problems and
dealing with other stuff this machine was supporting, it came
up OK and to our relief ADSM would now start OK.

IBM have suggested that the problem may have been a corrupt
database - but there seemed to be no way to prove this as none
of the dsmserv 'programs' would run, so we couldn't even restore
the db on the existing system.

Our other suspicion was the latest AIX security patch applied just
recently. We have not had time to test out this yet.
I would be interested if any other AIX ADSM sites had applied this
without any problems - IY03152.

I will try to investigate further the original problem using the original
server machine when I get some time.

>I created brand new files on new disks for the database and log file :
>
>./dsmfmt -m -db /usr/adsm/dbfs31/db310.dsm 5121
>./dsmfmt -m -db /usr/adsm/dbfs32/db320.dsm 5121
>./dsmfmt -m -db /usr/adsm/dbfs33/db330.dsm 5121
>./dsmfmt -m -log /usr/adsm/dbfs33/log4.dsm 500
>
>But couldn't carry with a restore db as the dsmserv format died as
>all dsmserv based 'programs' have :
>
>KSH fs-c{root}58: dsmserv format 1 /usr/adsm/dbfs33/log4.dsm 3 /usr/adsm/dbfs31
>/db310.dsm /usr/adsm/dbfs32/db320.dsm /usr/adsm/dbfs33/db330.dsm
>ANR7800I DSMSERV generated at 15:38:49 on Jul 22 1999.
>
>ADSTAR Distributed Storage Manager for AIX-RS/6000
>Version 3, Release 1, Level 2.40
>
>Licensed Materials - Property of IBM
>
>5765-C43 (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1990, 1998. All rights reserved.
>U.S. Government Users Restricted Rights - Use, duplication or disclosure
>restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corporation.
>
>ANR0900I Processing options file dsmserv.opt.
>Trace/BPT trap(coredump)

 Steven Bridge     Systems Group, Information Systems, EISD
                          University College London
 email: s.bridge AT ucl.ac DOT uk                   tel: +44 (0)20 7679 2794