ADSM-L

Restore times

1999-09-28 06:55:47
Subject: Restore times
From: "Jordan, Chris (ELS)" <c.jordan AT ELSEVIER.CO DOT UK>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:55:47 +0100
I am trying to calculate how long a Disaster Recovery of all our clients
might take. I am working out some VERY APPROXIMATE rules for how long it
takes to restore a server. Can anyone confirm or deny these VERY APPROXIMATE
times.

(Server is NT, with DLT 7000 tape library). Clients are a mainly over 10
MBit network links (YES, I know!). Some clients have many small files,
others have a few large files - hence the following rules:

Clients with "small" objects are those where (Objects / MBytes) is more than
50.
Clients with "large" objects are those where (Objects / MBytes) is less than
5.
Clients with "medium" objects are the others.

"Small" object clients can be restored at 25,000 objects per hour.
"Medium" objects clients can be restored at either 15,000 objects per hour,
or 1.5 GByte per hour (which ever is the largest).
"Large" objects clients can be restored at 4 GByte per hour (i.e. network
speed of 10 MBit).

These figures seem to VERY APPROXIMATELY match what we have seen for full
client restores, do they match what you have??

Cheers, Chris