ADSM-L

Re: ADSM/Exchange/Connect Agent

2015-10-04 17:39:22
Subject: Re: ADSM/Exchange/Connect Agent
From: Remeta, Mark [mailto:MRemeta AT SELIGMANDATA DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
OK, I'll bite.

A connect Agent is required b/c the exchange information store and directory
are actually database files that are open all the time so they cannot be
backed up by a conventional backup program. You could shutdown all the
Exchange services and then do a normal (it's called offline) backup but
Exchange would be unavailable during this time. As far as restoring
individual mailboxes this is not supported by Microsoft API calls at this
time. The prescribed method to restore an individual mailbox is to restore
the IS to another server and extract the contents of the mailbox to a
personal folder (PST) that can then be opened on the client workstation and
imported into his mailbox. With Exchange 5.5 there is a new feature that
let's you keep copies of deleted files for n days that should help with
individual messages being accidentally deleted but will not help you if a
mailbox is accidentally deleted.

Hope this helps,
Mark