ADSM-L

Re: Backup of DHCP-client computers

1999-09-28 03:30:22
Subject: Re: Backup of DHCP-client computers
From: Walter de Jong <walter AT SARA DOT NL>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:30:22 +0200
Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:

> There were several comments to my question:
>
> > The DHCP-clients (typically PCs running Linux, and using the
> > "unsupported" ADSM client software) may change IP-address daily.
> > Even if I assign a permanent ADSM name to the client
> > (e.g., "karsten"), I find that when a new IP-address is
> > used, the dsmc backup client asks for the node password
> > (which the users generally don't have).
>
> My remarks to the kind comments:
>
> We DO use "Passwordaccess Generate" in dsm.sys.
> The DHCP server DOES assign new IP-addresses from time
> to time, so you've got to cope with that change !
> You CANNOT do a server-poll because the IP-addresses
> of the ADSM clients will be unknown to the ADSM server.
> The client ADSM password DOES change with the IP-address as
> noted by Mauro.TINELLI AT ST DOT COM.
>
> So the challenge seems to persist:  How does one "freeze"
> the ADSM client password even when the IP-address changes,
> so that the client may connect to the server without the
> ADSM administrator having to type in the password ???
>
> Is the client password really dependent on IP-address,
> or is it the server noting a different IP-address and
> saying "Hey, that's strange - better ask for a password" ?

The server is noting that the node has changed IP-address
and asks for the password. This is done so you can restore
your backups to a different machine, when a client machine
has broken down due to faulty hardware (for example).

For DHCP, I think you have to think of something to work
with this -- such as giving all users passwords.
A more sophisticated solution would be writing an automated bot
that contacts the clients by ipname (rather than numeric ipaddress)
and then initiate a 'manual' backup. On Linux, you could
'enter' the node password using an `expect` script.

--
                  *** When you build it, they will come ***
                  *** When you build it, they will come ***

Walter de Jong
walter AT sara DOT nl        http://www.sara.nl/
Systems Programmer at SARA -- National Supercomputer Services

People should be able to e-mail me, spambots should not.