ADSM-L

Re: Backup of DHCP-client computers

1999-09-28 02:57:12
Subject: Re: Backup of DHCP-client computers
From: Ole Holm Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen AT FYSIK.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 08:57:12 +0200
There were several comments to my question:

> The DHCP-clients (typically PCs running Linux, and using the
> "unsupported" ADSM client software) may change IP-address daily.
> Even if I assign a permanent ADSM name to the client
> (e.g., "karsten"), I find that when a new IP-address is
> used, the dsmc backup client asks for the node password
> (which the users generally don't have).

My remarks to the kind comments:

We DO use "Passwordaccess Generate" in dsm.sys.
The DHCP server DOES assign new IP-addresses from time
to time, so you've got to cope with that change !
You CANNOT do a server-poll because the IP-addresses
of the ADSM clients will be unknown to the ADSM server.
The client ADSM password DOES change with the IP-address as
noted by Mauro.TINELLI AT ST DOT COM.

So the challenge seems to persist:  How does one "freeze"
the ADSM client password even when the IP-address changes,
so that the client may connect to the server without the
ADSM administrator having to type in the password ???

Is the client password really dependent on IP-address,
or is it the server noting a different IP-address and
saying "Hey, that's strange - better ask for a password" ?

ADSM developers: can you comment on this ?

Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics, Technical University of Denmark,