ADSM-L

unique volume names

1999-09-22 15:26:51
Subject: unique volume names
From: Lester Buck <buck AT CLEARLAKE.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 14:26:51 -0500
I administer some optical jukeboxes under ADSM.  From a previous
question in this forum, everyone confirmed that I could not configure
two optical jukeboxes as the archive destination at the same time, so I
need to swap the destinations periodically to fill multiple jukeboxes
with archive data.

With multiple jukeboxes attached to the same (or different) ADSM
server, I wonder about the semantics of volume names.  I suspect that
the same volume label on any media in any library of any type attached
to one ADSM server will not be allowed to be checked in due to a name
conflict, but I haven't verified this operationally.  Is this covered
in the manual somewhere?

If this is the case, then there is no need to encode the library name
in the volume label.  Is this a correct conclusion?

Thanks alot!

Lester
--
A. Lester Buck