ADSM-L

Tape drive recommendations

1999-09-22 09:18:29
Subject: Tape drive recommendations
From: Marita Gonsalves <marita_gonsalves AT CARYACADEMY.PVT.K12.NC DOT US>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:18:29 -0400
Hello all:
We're currently using DLT4700 Digital TZ887 tape drives for our backups (got
them about 3 years ago).  We are finding it really hard to get people to
repair/service these drives in our area.  I was told that these tape drives
are obsolete and I should consider upgrading.     Is this true?   I'm not
overly thrilled with the DLT tape drives because I invariably end up with a
read or write error on a tape.  There are times when an audit vol fixes it
but not always.  I do have a bunch of tapes with write errors that cannot be
recycled.  I use a cleaning tape on these drives every month.    About 3% of
my tapes have either read or write errors.  Is this fairly normal?

I'm curious as to what tape drives you use and what kind of problems (if
any) you've experienced.  If we have to upgrade or get a different type of
tape drive, I would like to be able to make an informed decision.  Since
we're a not-for-profit school, cost is a factor.  Also, I would need to be
able to use the tapes I currently have.  Any suggestions/recommendations
would be greatly appreciated.

Marita Gonsalves