ADSM-L

Re: ACO3505E during restore of SQL Server Transaction Logs

1999-09-16 11:06:26
Subject: Re: ACO3505E during restore of SQL Server Transaction Logs
From: Chris Zaremba <zaremba AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:06:26 -0400
Neil,

>The full database restore completes successfully, but when I try to restore
>the first transaction log backup, I receive the following error message:
..
>SQL Status: DB-LIB message: This backup set cannot be restored because
>the database has not been rolled forward far enough. You must first restore all
>earlier logs before restoring this log.

Is this a SQL 7 server?  If so, when you did the full backup, did you truncate
the logs?  SQL 7 changed the function
of a "full" backup to include only that portion of the transaction log necessary
to get a consistent DB image (rather than everything in the transaction log as
it was in prior releases) .  So, with SQL 7, you should follow a full backup by
an incremental before truncating the logs to ensure that you capture all the
transaction log data.  Otherwise, you may have a gap in the transaction logs
resulting in the error you are seeing on restore.

Chris Zaremba
ADSM Agent Development
internet  zaremba AT us.ibm DOT com