ADSM-L

Moving clients from sites [Re: Exporting clients]

1999-09-13 10:20:20
Subject: Moving clients from sites [Re: Exporting clients]
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 10:20:20 -0400
As far as I know, there are two ways to get the result your looking for. The
first approach is to do an export including file data. This type of export
process will mount existing backup tapes and copy the backup files belonging
to the exported node to one or more output tapes. A subsequent import to
another server will copy the backup files from the export tapes to storage
pool tapes. Restore operations will copy backup files from these storage pool
tapes to the replacement client system.

The second approach is to set up a second ADSM server at the recovery site,
restore a database backup from the server that owns the client backups, update
the new server to fit the available hardware, and run the restore operations.
It is possible to have two ADSM servers running on one host system. I am not
sure how difficult it would be to make tape drives available to the second
ADSM server.