ADSM-L

AW: NT Recovery on different hardware

2015-10-04 17:39:21
Subject: AW: NT Recovery on different hardware
From: Michael Bartl [mailto:michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
An NT bare metal restore to different hardware is a difficult problem =
common
to all backup solutions. Unfortunately Microsoft did not implement the =
"plug
and play" routines that are run during system installation to be also
checked during system boot...

When you restore a system and you do this in an "ideal" way, the result =
is
the same as when your harddisk hadn't failed. As you'd have the same =
problem
when removing the harddisk from your present machine and installing it =
into
new hardware I think we cannot put much responsibility on the backup
software.

When you're lucky you might get the problem solved in a single case: =
tricky
here, registry changed there, switched drivers without NT knowing and =
got
the server back on the network. Only this method is neither save nor
predictable. So for now we can only put our hope on Microsoft =
implementing a
better method in future versions.

Regards,
Michael