ADSM-L

AW: NT Recovery on different hardware

1999-09-09 04:26:14
Subject: AW: NT Recovery on different hardware
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 10:26:14 +0200
An NT bare metal restore to different hardware is a difficult problem common
to all backup solutions. Unfortunately Microsoft did not implement the "plug
and play" routines that are run during system installation to be also
checked during system boot...

When you restore a system and you do this in an "ideal" way, the result is
the same as when your harddisk hadn't failed. As you'd have the same problem
when removing the harddisk from your present machine and installing it into
new hardware I think we cannot put much responsibility on the backup
software.

When you're lucky you might get the problem solved in a single case: tricky
here, registry changed there, switched drivers without NT knowing and got
the server back on the network. Only this method is neither save nor
predictable. So for now we can only put our hope on Microsoft implementing a
better method in future versions.

Regards,
Michael