ADSM-L

NT Recovery on different hardware

1999-09-08 12:06:40
Subject: NT Recovery on different hardware
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 12:06:40 -0400
> It seems simple to recover an NT server using the diskimages to boot up the
> new PC and then recover the ADSM backup.
>
> BUT this will recovery the hardware specific configuration (HAL ?) of the
> orginal machine. It seems unlikely that the recovered system will work if
> the hardware is significantly different (quite likely in a Disaster
> Recovery invocation, it might be a brand-new box or something recycled).
>
> Is there a solution for the different recovery hardware problem? (If it is
> documented. please point me in the right direction)

We have recovered NT systems to different hardware twice in the course of
disaster recovery tests. Your suspicion that it requires a more complicated
procedure than recovery to like hardware is correct. One of my co-workers has
documented the process. I will try to get permission to send you a copy of his
document. The general outline of the process is as follows:

1.Install windows NT at the same service level as the original system, placing
it in a different partition or a different directory than the production NT.
2.Install ADSM client software in a different place than on the original
system.
3.Update the ADSM configuration file.
4.Use ADSM to restore the original population of files.
5.Copy the restored registry hives from adsm.sys to the appropriate
subdirectory of the Windows system directory.
5.Copy hal.dll from the newly installed system to the restored system.
6.Copy the hardware-oriented registry hive from the newly installed system to
the restored system.
7.Edit the boot.ini file to make it possible to select the restored system
when booting.
8.Boot the restored system.