ADSM-L

Single Tape Drive Situation

1999-09-07 10:50:56
Subject: Single Tape Drive Situation
From: Jason Turner <jason_turner AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 07:50:56 -0700
I have a customer who wants to install ADSM on an AIX
server with only one 3570 tape drive.  I know he can
do tape reclamation with one tape drive but he also
wants to be able to do a copy storage pool to make a
secondary copy of his backup data.  How will this work
with only one tape drive?  The real issue is that he
is planning on backing up a SQL database directly to
tape and wants to make a secondary copy of that data
from tape to tape with only one tape drive.  Can this
be done?

The only thing I can think of at this time is to have
the customer backup to disk first instead of tape.
Then backup the storage pool to a copy storage pool,
which would put the data onto tape.  Then migrate the
disk storage pool to a secondary storage pool which is
tape.  I also suspect that outside of ADSM there are
tape drive commands available just to copy a tape.  In
this situation the data would be copied from tape to
disk and then to a new tape.

Please Advise.