ADSM-L

Re: Recovery Log problems

1999-09-02 13:56:37
Subject: Re: Recovery Log problems
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 13:56:37 -0400
My recovery log is big enough to hold a full day's transactions at 80% of
its space.  I schedule my DB backups and do not rely on the DBTRIGGER.
I find rollforward mode to be useful for getting the server back to a time
after the last DB backup and before my problem occurred.

I agree that DB backups occurring at odd times is a recipe for random
failure.

Rich

_________________________________
>Subject: Re: Recovery Log problems
>Author:  "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>  at IPNET
>Date:    9/2/99 10:13 AM
>

>> I also had to restore my DB twice.  Both times I was not able to roll
>> forward.
>> I am also wondering why I bother to set it since it has not helped me in
>> the past.
>
>I run in normal mode after trying rollforward for a while, and having it
>cause me more problems than it was worth.  I had a 5GB recovery log, and
>DBbackup's triggered in the middle of the night did not complete prior to
>the log filling, since client backups were running, and ADSM did not pay
>enough attention to the more critical DBbackup.  When it crashes, one must
>extend the log in standalone mode, and my server would then take over 4
>hours to come up.
>
>With mirrored logs, I dunno why one would bother with the problems
>associated with rollforward mode.  In the case were both logs go bad,
>rollforward recovery will not work anyway.
>
>We live with the fact that if we have to do a restoredb, we will have to
>re-backup all of the work since the last dbbackup.
>
>...just my humble opinions...
>
>Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
>(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
>(716)645-3564 ,
>   | http://ubvm.cc.buffalo.edu/~tkssteve)

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company              fax:   716-722-3885
Rochester, NY 14650-2203