ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:40:33
David, do you know what calculations, if any, to perform to arrive
with the number 50?

Our server has 256MB RAM. Page space is 512MB.  The ADSM
server is the only application that is running in our SP wide node.

What would be the optimum number to use for vmtune given the
above?

Your suggestion is appreciated.

Angel

   -----Original Message-----
   From:       bohm [SMTP:bohm AT US.IBM DOT COM]
   Sent:       Tuesday, August 31, 1999 1:56 PM
   To:         ADSM-L
   Cc:         bohm
   Subject:    Re: Server crashed - BUF043.

   I do not think this is necessary.  The BUF043 problem should be fixed
   by
   IX87338 which is included in the 3.1.2.30 level.  The fix for the
   BUF006
   should be included in a future PTF through APAR IY00869.

   An underlying problem to the BUF006 appears to be an I/O bottleneck
   preventing
   dirty pages from getting flushed fast enough.  A circumvention to
   that
   problem that has worked for at least one customer is

   vmtune -P 50

   I would try this first.  APAR IY00869 will fix the BUF006 problem,
   but you
   will still have the problem of memory utilization and the I/O
   bottleneck
   after that fix which the vmtune setting should resolve.  If the I/O
   bottleneck is resolved then you should never get into the condition
   that causes the BUF006 problem which is a timing problem that
   only occurs when the data base buffer pool is full of used pages.

   David Bohm
   ADSM server development
   (520) 799-5082 T/L 321-5082
   email - bohm AT us.ibm DOT com

   >Short of an upgrade I'd suggest the following...
   >
   >DUMP/LOAD or BACKUP/RESTORE DB.  PReferrably on top of a fresh
   install
   >of ADSM.  Those BUF errors are uncommon on most systems, so yours is
   >special case.
   >They could probably run traces and perhaps rig a fix, but a fresh
   install of
   >ADSM
   >may be the way to go if you want results anytime soon.
   >
   >PMR's can be reopened and crossref'd if need be.
   >
   >ADSML

--openmail-part-0dd16144-00000001--