ADSM-L

Re: Server crashed - BUF043.

1999-08-31 19:56:20
Subject: Re: Server crashed - BUF043.
From: David Bohm <bohm AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 17:56:20 -0600
I do not think this is necessary.  The BUF043 problem should be fixed by
IX87338 which is included in the 3.1.2.30 level.  The fix for the BUF006
should be included in a future PTF through APAR IY00869.

An underlying problem to the BUF006 appears to be an I/O bottleneck preventing
dirty pages from getting flushed fast enough.  A circumvention to that
problem that has worked for at least one customer is

vmtune -P 50

I would try this first.  APAR IY00869 will fix the BUF006 problem, but you
will still have the problem of memory utilization and the I/O bottleneck
after that fix which the vmtune setting should resolve.  If the I/O
bottleneck is resolved then you should never get into the condition
that causes the BUF006 problem which is a timing problem that
only occurs when the data base buffer pool is full of used pages.

David Bohm
ADSM server development
(520) 799-5082 T/L 321-5082
email - bohm AT us.ibm DOT com