ADSM-L

Re: ADSMconnect agent for Exchange throughput

1999-08-30 11:55:37
Subject: Re: ADSMconnect agent for Exchange throughput
From: Eliza Lau <lau AT VTCAT.CC.VT DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:55:37 -0400
I have tried a simple ftp from the NT (Exchange server) to UNIX and got
27G/hr out of it.  So it isn't the network.  Of course, the ftp is from disk to
disk.  I can only get at most 3G/hr out of the ADSM connect agent (disk to
tape).  We are running Seagate Backup Exec in production to backup the db.
The Seagate backup takes about half the time even though the data have to march
through the network twice (NT server to Seagate Backup Exec server to ADSM
server).
We would like to switch to ADSM for simplicity, but with throughput
much worse than Seagate there is no way we could justify the switch.
We only have a 6 hour window to backup the db.  As the db is expected to
grow exponentially next year we won't be able to back it up in 6 hours.

Eliza

 Eliza Lau
 Eliza Lau
 Virginia Tech Computing Center                email : eliza.lau AT vt DOT edu
 Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
 1700 Pratt Drive
 Blacksburg VA 24060                           phone : (540) 231-9399