ADSM-L

Re: ADSM OS/390 Server 3.1.2.20

1999-08-26 13:54:02
Subject: Re: ADSM OS/390 Server 3.1.2.20
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 13:54:02 -0400
>Anyone had a problem with level 3.1.2.20 with 'hung' client sessions sitting
>out
>there for hours not doing any work, and the server sucking up cpu like there's
>no tomorrow?  I was forced to recycle my server this morning after numerous
>complaints from users and MVS performance folks; turns out ADSM was using 2
>full
>cp's out of 4 on one of our production systems.  There were 2 client backup
>sessions that looked as though they were running from about 18:00 last night,
>but from the client end were not active (NT and AIX).
>
>Thanks for any info ....
>
>                         Ginny

Ginny - Were you able to get any Query Session info?  One wonders if the
        clients were hitting the client in some way, or whether they were
sitting there in IdleWait or some odd state.  Anything peculiar about the
clients (as in Win95 yesterday, WinNT or LINUX today)?  Or maybe a combination
of v2 and v3 clients, or some other peculiar circumstances that could be
determined from the event?  Any hardware errors?  Something odd triggered the
server to go bananas.  Could recur.  If so, try to use opsys facilities to
identify the process or thread so as to isolate the resource involved (each
process or thread tends to be dedicated).
   Richard Sims, BU