ADSM-L

Understanding Archiving

1999-08-25 07:40:07
Subject: Understanding Archiving
From: Tom Haddad <thaddad AT COLUMBIAENERGYGROUP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 07:40:07 -0400
I have ADSM v3.1 on AIX and and want to implement ARCHIVEing for a Netware 4.11
client of mine.

At this time this scheduled incrementals of this client are being processed
using a default managmentclass that has JUST a backup copy group.
I want to keep this process going but in addition want to ARCHIVE a specific
directory on this  client say once a month.

1. Define an archive copygroup in the default managementclass.
2. Automate (schedule) an ARCHIVE of this specific directory ...let it use the
default managementclass to pickup the archive copygroup. ...
     options..
 I do not want the files deleted from the client once its archived.
3. Purpose .. I want to have an archive of this directory kept offisite _(on
its own tape volume), but on a daily basis I can always do a RESTORE from the
INCREMENTAL backups if needed.

4. If the archive retention is 30 days...will expiration  delete the entries on
day 31 and then tag that tape volume as re-usuable?