ADSM-L

[no subject]

From: Doug Crossan@PERDUE on 08/24/99 06:53 PM

To:   adsm-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:
Subject:  COMMM SHAREDmem

I am shortly going to be configuring an ADSM server (3.1.2.20 - this list
has made me afraid of anything higher) that runs on an S7A (AIX 4.3.2) that
is also our production SAP database server. There will be two 3494E1A
drives attached to this box (the drives are in a MAGSTAR unit). I need to
make this machine SCREAM as far as backup and restore times are concerned
(like 500Gb database in less than 1 hour). It seems to me that since the
ADSM server and the client data are on the same machine that this shared
memory communications method is the way to go. Going to a disk pool doesn't
make sense since if we lose this machine, we lose the ADSM data too!
Besides, a disk pool will not help with a full restore.

   1 - Is shared memory really the fastest way to go?

   2 - If so, what other parameters should I "tweak" to make the backups
really fly?

   3 - What other considerations are there? Will SAP performance suffer
while the backups are running? Do I need to increase the paging space?
Should I try to shutdown all "non-essential" processes while the backup is
running?

                                Thank you.

                          doug.crossan AT perdue DOT com