ADSM-L

Re: Restoring Oracle DB

1999-08-22 15:08:10
Subject: Re: Restoring Oracle DB
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 14:08:10 -0500
There are several ways of doing this -- if you're on SAP 4.0B, there's a
brrestore option that may work (we've never tried it).

Then there's the way we do it  . . .

1) unmount all the CON filesystems except /sapmnt/CON
2) remount /oracle/CON as /oracle/PRD
3) remount everything else as PRD
4) in /oracle/PRD/dbs (on the CON machine) make changes to the .profile and
.dbenv_<hostname> files to reflect the 'new' SID of PRD
5) change oracon to oraprd in /etc/passwd (and make sure the home directory
is /oracle/PRD, not /oracle/CON)
6) if there's a dsm.sys under /usr/lpp/adsm/api/bin, insert a nodename
override to make the CON system look like your PRD system
   -- or kill your dsmc sched process and make the change in
/usr/lpp/adsm/bin/dsm.sys
7) copy both the backPRD.log and the *.aff file you want to restore from
from the PRD /oracle/PRD/sapbackup to the CON /oracle/PRD/sapbackup - make
sure they're readable by oraprd on the CON system
8) use sapdba to restore one file -- the control file. If everything is set
up correctly, you should be presented with only the one .aff file as a
backup to restore from.
9) after the control file is down, use sapdba to restore the entire
database.
10) Your DBA will need to update the control file to reflect the sid CON
after the restore finishes
11) After the DBA is done and the database is shut down, unmount all the PRD
filesystems on the CON machine
12) Remount under the normal names
13) change the .profile, .dbenv_<hostname> and /etc/passwd values back
14) Start listener, log in as conadm, and try a startsap.
15) Your basis team will need to make the appropriate changes -- sid,
instance number, and other such internals (and kill printers,
     batch processes, reports . . . .)

What this does, is for a 'brief' period of time, make your CON system look
like and act like your PRD system. We allow 3 days, as the restore proper
takes us about 13 hours. There may be a few other files to edit/play with --
it's been over two years since we first did this, and I don't remember whar
files were changed 'one-time'. We go through this about 5 times a year, as
our 'PRD to TST copy' process.

If you run into any other questions, feel free to call me Monday after 8 AM
CDT at (219) 295-3297

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc