ADSM-L

Re: Win95 bare metal restore

1999-08-20 17:12:19
Subject: Re: Win95 bare metal restore
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 17:12:19 -0400
Restoring Win95 over top of itself usually works, and will always work if it
REALLY is the EXACT same version.
But if there are service packs installed on the system that died, and you
are using original install media to install on the new hard drive, then you
MAY have problems because ADSM cannot update the .dll files that are in use
during the restore.  You can end up with some .dll files that are not
restored and predate the ones that were on the dead system, sometimes with
bad results.  We have had bare-metal restores fail a couple of times because
of this.

 A solution that ALWAYS works is just slightly different:

*       Start with a fresh hard drive and install Windows 95.

*       When selecting the install directory don't take the default, choose
something DIFFERENT than your original machine.  (for example, instead of
installing in the Windows directory, call it WINRECOVER.)

*       Install the ADSM client

*       Then restore the whole drive with ADSM.  ADSM will be restoring the
original Windows directory, complete with all the right .dlls.  There will
be no conflicts, because the originals won't be in use at the time of the
restore.

*       Reboot.  (The restore puts back your boot.ini files, and the win95
registry files, so when you reboot after the restore, it will boot off the
restored Windows directory.)

*       Then you can just delete your WINRECOVER directory, it won't be in
use after the reboot.

We use exactly the same procedure for WinNT servers, with one extra step.

*       Start with a clean hard drive.  Install WinNT from the install
media, but use a different install directory named WINrecover, or some such.

*       Install the ADSM client.

*       Restore the C: drive with ADSM.

*       After C: is restored, use ADSM to restore the registry.  (Pull down
Utilites, Restore Registry, all hives.)

*       Reboot immediately.

*       Delete your WINRECOVER directory

We haven't tested this on Win98 yet, I don't know if there are registry
changes or anything else that would prevent this from working.  Anybody
tried it?